- "Woah. What the hell. They got rocket trains now?"
- ―B.J. Blazkowicz upon entering Area 52.[src]
Its real-life name is the Nevada Test and Training Range.
The base's current primary purpose is publicly unknown; however, based on historical evidence, it most likely supports the development and testing of experimental aircraft and weapons systems (black projects). The intense secrecy surrounding the base has made it the frequent subject of conspiracy theories and a central component to unidentified flying object (UFO) folklore. Although the base has never been declared a secret base, all research and occurrences in Area 51 are Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI). On 25 June 2013, following a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request filed in 2005, the CIA publicly acknowledged the existence of the base for the first time, declassifying documents detailing the history and purpose of Area 51.
Area 51 is located in the southern portion of Nevada in the western United States, 83 miles (134 km) north-northwest of Las Vegas. Situated at its center, on the southern shore of Groom Lake, is a large military airfield. The site was acquired by the United States Air Force in 1955, primarily for the flight testing of the Lockheed U-2 aircraft. The area around Area 51, including the small town of Rachel on the "Extraterrestrial Highway", is a popular tourist destination. Following the event of Blazkowicz infiltration, the facility is completely destroyed. Despite, the American Resistance telling B.J to come back to assassinate one of the Übercommander.
- In "The New Colossus", during the scene where Super Spesh talks to B.J. about the conspiracy regarding Roswell, he shows a seeming schematic of Area 52. On the map, three easter-eggs can be found:
- In the upper "Oberkommando" area can a drawing of The Bell (Die Glocke) be found, a famous alledged German Wunderwaffe.
- Next to it, a Haunebu Nazi-UFO can be seen outlined, another alledged Wunderwaffe.
- In the lower area that Spesh labelled "Weird shit?" a pyramid-shaped can be seen, this looks a lot like the Geo-Front from the Japanese anime Neon Genesis Evangelion.
|Location||Area 52 · Ausmerzer · Blazkowicz estate · Deathshead's Compound · Empire State Building · Eva's Hammer · Hollywood · Mesquite · Moon Base Gamma · New Orleans · New York City · Oberkommando · Papa Joe's All American Diner · Roswell · The American Bank · United States · Venus · Washington D.C.|