Eva's Hammer is the largest U-boat in the Kriegsmarine and the world. It is seen in the 2014 game Wolfenstein: The New Order, as well in the 2017 sequel Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. The submarine becomes the HQ of the Kreisau Circle following the raid of their base under the Monuments of Truth by Irene Engel. They are later joined by two major American resistance groups during the liberation of the United States.
Wolfenstein: The New Order[edit | edit source]
The Eva's Hammer is not seen until Chapter 11 - U-Boat where B.J. Blazkowicz stows away inside a torpedo delivered to the U-Boat by one of Klaus Kreutz's contacts. Having boarded the ship, Blazkowicz clears the vessel of its crew and kills its captain, Krieger, to secure it for the other members of the Kreisau Circle. They then use the craft to access Set Roth's Da'at Yichud safekeep below the Atlantic Ocean.
By the final chapter, the Kreisau Circle used the Eva's Hammer to attack Deathshead's Compound. They fired a Spindly Torque from its cannon to attack the defending Nazi forces. They also used the ships nuclear cannon after Blazkowicz obtained the nuclear decryption keys from the Lunar Base to destroy Deathshead's Compound with a nuclear shell.
Wolfenstein: The New Colossus[edit | edit source]
- "This is a good home for us, Caroline. You always made the right call."
- ―B.J. internally to Caroline after her death.[src]
The Eva's Hammer became the Kreisau Circle's new mobile HQ after the raid of the base under the Monuments of Truth and the subsequent assault on Deathshead's Compound. Because of its status and capacity to launch nuclear shells, it has become a top-priority target for the Nazis to recapture or destroy. The Kreisau Circle then directed the Eva's Hammer to link up with the resistance forces in the former United States, coming under attack from Nazi forces in the Atlantic Ocean.
After BJ's 5-months coma, the Eva's Hammer was attacked by Irene and her death squad to kill BJ and avenge Deathshead's death. It is revealed that the Resistance crew did not sweep up all the Nazi personnel within the U-boat due to its tremendous size. The remaining Nazi sailors led by Nazi Commander Fischer hid in the secret Section F of the U-Boat, the entrance of which was hidden by a locker, and managed to transmit signals for backups. This leads to the Ausmerzer following, tracking down, and attacking the Eva's Hammer. After B.J. disposed off the remaining Nazi sailors and their Drones and Supersoldiers, the entirety of Eva's Hammer is under full control of the Kreisau Circle and the American Resistance. When the Eva's Hammer arrived at New Orleans to pick up B.J. and new allies, the Ausmerzer attacked again, but the U-boat managed to flee with the aid of the nuclear cannon. During the Second American Revolution, the U-boat deployed B.J. to places to eliminate the remaining Nazi chain of command for the American territories.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The U-boat is most likely named after Eva Braun, Adolf Hitler's lover, and wife. Alternatively, it might be named after the biblical Eve ("Eva" in German).
- The Eva's Hammer has at least dozens of nuclear warheads stored in Section F of the ship. The stockpile was originally protected from intruders by Drones and Supersoldiers until B.J. disposed of all of them, allowing the other resistance members to access these.
- The crew members that hide in Section F are all armed with 1961 weapons like other soldiers, and commanders wear the 1961 uniform, likely for gameplay and development reasons (though alternatively, it may be a last-minute bug that got overlooked). Due to hiding since B.J. took over in 1960, they should still wear 1960 uniforms and use 1960 weapons, and commanders weren't able to call for reinforcements. Also, all Supersoldiers and Drones hidden in Section F sport their 1961 designs instead of their 1960 designs.
- Eva's Hammer is based on the real-world plans for the Kriegsmarine's Cruiser Class U-boats. These vessels would have been twice as large as the standard U-boat of the German Navy and would have been capable of carrying the Arado Ar-231 scout seaplane as well as the Flettner Fl-282 helicopter.
- It appears that the Eva's Hammer is also an aircraft carrier submarine, as numerous retro-futuristic Ho-229 can be seen docked through the glass at the staircase in Wolfenstein: The New Order.
- In the German version of the game, the U-boat is called "Hammerfaust" (German for "Hammerfist").
- In the third DLC: The Amazing Deeds of Captain Wilkins, Captain Gerald Wilkins steals a U-boat, that looks like Eva's Hammer. Possibly, several submarines of this type were built.
- There is actually a real submarine carrier known as the I-400-class submarine built by Imperial Japanese Navy during the Second World War in which 18 of this class were ordered to be built in 1942 but was scaled down to 5 in 1943 and were to carry up to three Aichi M6A Seiran Floatplanes but only 3 (I-400 at Kure, and I-401 and I-402 at Sasebo) out of the 5 were completed.
- The nuclear cannon on the U-boat is possibly based on the American M65 atomic cannon.
- Ballistic missile submarines appear not to have been developed in this timeline, at least as of the 1960s, probably primarily due to a lack of peer enemies to counter with them.
Armament[edit | edit source]
- 1 x heavy nuclear cannon with at least 30 nukes in reserve
- at least 6 x dual flak cannons
- at least 8 x missile silos
- torpedo launchers
Complement[edit | edit source]
(Pre Kreisau Circle capture)
- likely hundreds if not thousands of sailors and soldiers
- likely dozens of SuperSoldiers, Heavy Soldiers and Kampfhunde
- likely dozens of service personnel
- likely dozens of Elite Commandos
- definitely Captain Anton Krieger
(After Kreisau Circle capture)
- dozens if not hundreds of resistance members
- William J. Blazkowicz, Anja Oliwa, Max Hass, Fergus Reid or Probst Wyatt III, Sigrun Engel, Super Spesh Grace Walker, Horton Boone, Set Roth, Bombate, Friedrich Baumgarten and others.
- Hass 1-3
- Haunebu V
- Ho 229
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Location||Berlin · Camp Belica · Da'at Yichud Safe · Deathshead's Compound · Eisenwald Prison · Eva's Hammer · Gibraltar Bridge · London Nautica · Moon Base One · Monuments of Truth · Zakład Psychiatryczny Maławieś|
|Vehicles||Allies Condor · Eva's Hammer · Herr Faust · Horten Ho 229 · Project Whisper · Space shuttle|
|Location||Area 52 · Ausmerzer · Blazkowicz estate · Deathshead's Compound · Empire State Building · Eva's Hammer · Hollywood · Mesquite · Moon Base Gamma · New Orleans · New York City · Oberkommando · Papa Joe's All American Diner · Roswell · The American Bank · United States · Venus · Washington D.C.|
|Vehicles||APC · Ausmerzer · Eva's Hammer · Haunebu-V · Horten Ho 229 · Monocycle · Panzerhund · Rover · Silberfish · Supply Zeppelin|