Fergus Reid is B.J.'s right-hand man during the assault on Deathshead's Compound at the beginning of Wolfenstein: The New Order. He can be saved by B.J. in the 1946 prologue. If chosen to be dissected, he becomes Deathshead's "finest work" for over decades as a prototype for Deathshead's robot, whom he nicknamed Machine Man.
In his timeline, Blazkowicz can upgrade his health bar. Each upgrade adds 10 extra health points to the player's maximum, giving more health, unlike Wyatt's timeline, where the armor is temporary. He is portrayed and voiced by Gideon Emery.
Born and raised in the Scottish lowlands, Fergus Reid's childhood was defined by poverty and hardships. Early on, he developed a cynical outlook on life. Sarcasm became a tool finely honed for dealing with the cruelty of fate. At age 16, Fergus found a job in the Glasgow shipyard where he would remain at until the depression of the 1930s hit Scotland hard and he was made redundant.
After years of scraping by, World War II broke out and Fergus moved to Perth in central Scotland. There, he joined the parachute regiment and trained as an aviation mechanic before an alcohol-induced bet got him promoted to airman.
Before the events of the franchise, Fergus met and befriended William Joseph Blazkowicz, whom he refer to as Blazko. Fergus also was acquainted of Pippa Shepherd and Richard Wesley before the events of The Old Blood.
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
- "You sure killed that big fucking monster proper, B.J. But the biggest one is still out there. This may be our last chance to topple the Nazi empire. Now it's time to get it done, eh? The world is counting on us and all that. No pressure. Except in my goddamn bladder."
- ―Fergus' speech to Blazkowicz before the assault.[src]
After defeating the monster at the end of the game, B.J. is knocked out by a falling rock. Fergus arrives to get him back on his feet and escort him out of Wulfburg. Fergus tells B.J. that Pippa sent him a distress call, but he found her body and was informed that Wesley was killed in Castle Wolfenstein. They arrive at R.A.F. Kinloss, where they prepare for the assault on Deathshead's Compound. In a truck filled with soldiers, Fergus complaints about not taking a piss and for B.J. not reminding him, with him replying that he's not his babysitter. Fergus proceeds to praise B.J.'s feat of destroying the Monstrosity and informs that the assault on Deathshead's compound could topple the Nazi empire. 
Wolfenstein: The New Order
- "You're still breathing, you jammy bastard! You're tough as they come, you know. Jesus Christ."
- ―Fergus after B.J.'s survival from the gunship explosion.[src]
Fergus accompanies B.J. and other Allied troops, including Probst Wyatt III, in assaulting Deathshead's Compound and ends up being captured by Deathshead himself. If Fergus is chosen, he accepts his death as he is dissected. If Wyatt is chosen, he is dissected, and Fergus and B.J. watch in horror.
B.J., Fergus and Prendergast escape the compound, as he and Prendergast are separated from B.J., who was hit by shrapnel. Fergus and Prendergast accompany the Kreisau Circle with Caroline Becker and other members: the obsessed genius Tekla, Englishman Bobby Bram, former Nazi Klaus Kreutz and his "son" Max Hass. Fergus would become weary of his old age, and haunted by Wyatt's death as he saw the latter to have potential and give them a future.
By 1960, Fergus is sent to Eisenwald Prison where he and others are tortured, leaving scars that would never heal. However, he is saved by B.J., who had come out of his catathonic state and was helped by Anya Oliwa. He and Blazkowicz managed to escape and regroup with the Kreisau Circle. Eventually, he aided the Kreisau Circle in retrieving the stealth helicopters of Project Whisper located at the London Nautica, losing Bram, who gave B.J. enough time by destroying the London Nautica front.
After returning back to the Kreisau Circle, B.J. goes to Fergus in order to retrieve the keys to the archive room. Fergus loses his cool with Blazkowicz on account of Wyatt's death at the hands of Deathshead (also over unsuccessfully trying to unlock the desk to get the key inside). B.J. then asks Fergus if he made a wrong choice. Fergus yells at B.J. that he obviously did, telling him that he was ready to die and had worked his ass off to save that boy, but instead B.J. chose to sacrifice him, and how both Wyatt and Prendergast were gone, while he considered himself nothing but a worthless "old skeleton" from the past, running without a willpower and unable to strap on the holsters anymore. Afterwards he gives B.J. the key from the desk unlocked with his captured Nazi 1960 combat knife and orders B.J. out of his room as he needs a nap. Fergus is later seen telling B.J. that the power tool Set Roth needs to finish the U-Boat fell down into a sewer pipe near the hideout entrance.
Final Assault on Deathshead
- "Don't fuck this up, you magnificent cunt."
- ―Fergus before the final assault.[src]
Fergus is later seen at the HQ as Irene Engel and her forces attack the base. Fergus, Becker, B.J., Max and Klaus escape as Klaus dies of his wounds. During the final assault, Fergus tells B.J. not to mess this up. B.J. also encounters Bubi, whom he kills, and meets Private Wyatt in the Prototype Robot. B.J. and Deathshead battle and B.J. wounds him. As the he mauls the General, the Nazi officer triggers and detonates a grenade, killing himself in the process. After Blazkowicz is injured by Deathshead, Fergus asks Blazkowicz for clearance to fire the nuclear cannon. Blazkowicz tells him it's clear.
Wolfenstein: The New Colossus
Like with Wyatt, the save file involving the choice to save him can be transferred over to the next installment to reprise his appearance or if the player has not played the New Order (or already played through both timelines), can choose his timeline in a flashback. He is seen in the prologue saving B.J. in the remains of Deathshead's castle. He loses his right arm from Irene's axe after Sigrun pushed her mother away from delivering a decapitation move on him. However, he managed to grasp the pistol and shoot at the surrounding Nazi soldiers.
After they escape, Set Roth replaces his arm with a cybernetic one. However, his new prosthesis is unstable, seen when it repeatedly smashes a biscuit in his face as he tries to test out his new arm. Since Caroline was killed by Irene Engel, he took leadership over the Kreisau Circle. Due to his aggressive personality compared to Wyatt, he often gets into a heated argument with Grace Walker over trivial things because of Grace's somewhat foul mouth and insensitive attitude.
It is revealed that his cybernetic right hand can detach itself and can be controlled from the distance by Fergus to perform stealth kill in which he control the hand to crush the skull of a Nazi patrol in New Orleans. That being said, the arm frequently abuses Fergus, bruising his right eye and humiliating him. Fergus has enough when the arm touches Maria, a woman he wanted to ask on a date at BJ's 50th birthday party. Smashing the arm, he leaves it, but it's returned to him after BJ finds it.
After BJ kills Irene Engel on the Jimmy Carver Show, Horton Boone and Grace Walker give a speech to America to stand against the Nazis. During the credits, Fergus yells that he has had enough these "Nazi wankers", telling America to take them to the streets and show that the free people of Scotland will never surrender.
The timeline exclusive weapon from Fergus is the LaserKraftWerk.
Like on Wyatt's dissection, Fergus is the prototype of Deathshead's experiment on using the brain and a mechanical beast in war. In 1960, Deathshead's research has finished during the assault on his compound. B.J. and Fergus (in the prototype) battle, with the machine's only line of weakness being grenades. B.J. defeats him as Fergus begs him to kill him, opening the pad for his brain. B.J. tells him that he'll "see [him] soon in a better place than this", and destroys Fergus' brain with the LaserKraftWerk, ending his suffering. In The New Colossus, Fergus' pictures can be seen in Wyatt's room during his time at war, but is not mentioned in game.
Fergus is a pale red headed man, he wears a RAF uniform, with a helmet and having a small goatee in The Old Blood and The New Order during 1946. In his timeline, Fergus is dressed in jeans, a green bomber jacket with Glasgow shipyard co logo on the back, and wears a yellow t-shirt emblazoned with the same logo,. Fergus has numerous scars on his face and his body from being experimented on in Eisenwald Prison. In The New Colossus, Fergus loses his arm and is given a prostetic arm by Set Roth, but appears to malfunction on numerous occasions. Fergus wears the same outfit in NC apart from during BJ's party where he wore his RAF Kinloss t shirt.
Below are the vitals purported to have been listed on Wolfenstein.com website at some point in an early version of the website (for The New Order before its release c. 2013). The bio itself does appear in the Art of Wolfensten: The New Order (as well as in the Who's Who cards made for Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus).
- Sex: Male
- Country (native)
- Height: 173 cm
- Weight: 62 kg
- Age: 53
- Born and raised in the Scottish Highlands, Fergus Reid's childhood was defined by poverty and hardship. Early on, he developed a cynical outlook on life. Sarcasm became a tool finely honed for dealing with the cruelty of fate. At age 16, Fergus found a job at the Glasgow shipyard where he would remain until the depression of the 30's hit Scotland hard and he was made redundant. After years of scraping by, the war broke out and Fergus moved to Perth in central Scotland. There, he trained as an aviation mechanic before an alcohol induced bet got him promoted to airman.
- "Get a hold of yourself, Private. It's war. People die. Your life's no more precious than the next doss lying... face down in a trench somewhere. They rattle you. You harden up no matter what."
- ―Fergus to Wyatt on his fear of being crushed.[src]
Fergus is selfless, loyal, reliable, sarcastic, broken, haunted, bitter, old and in pain during his timeline. In 1946, he is seen praising his allies achievements on the battlefield and considering them young, crazy and dedicated. If chosen to be dissected, he agrees with B.J.'s decision and accepts his demise. Before the event, Fergus sees himself as expendable and states to Wyatt that in a time of war, people die.
After losing the war to the Nazis, Fergus became self-loathing, grief-stricken, guilt-ridden, stressed and world-weary. Being in his fifties, Fergus felt his mortality, calling himself a "useless skeleton" to Blazkowicz. In addition, he worried for the future, knowing that him and B.J. were getting too old to "strap on the holsters" and that they couldn't lead the resistance forever. Despite this, he is still determined, reliable and loyal, aiding the resistance with all his strength. Fergus also appears to have a bickering relationship with Tekla, who is an overactive genius.
If chosen to be dissected, as the Prototype Robot, he tells B.J. he is sorry for he had no control over his actions, and begs him to end his suffering, as he cannot "live like this".
- "I'm a bloody Wing Commander!"
- ―Fergus at BJ's 50th birthday party, before flying a helicopter while intoxicated inside Eva's Hammer.[src]
Fergus shows himself to be aggressive, having heated arguments with Grace Walker. His timeline is more comedic than dramatic as Wyatt's, as he has to deal with his prosthetic arm fighting him for domination. The reason of his aggressiveness probably comes from his old age of fighting against the Nazi Empire, and dealing with his prosthetic arm that attacks him. Despite this, he still leads the group alongside Anya and appears to want a romantic relationship with Maria, but has a hard time expressing his feelings, needing the aid of Paris Jack at BJ's 50th birthday party. Before going to Paris Jack, he asked Grace's resistance member in Hacker Central on how to a write a poem.
According to some Kreisau Circle members, especially women, they somewhat dislike him and his leadership due to his aggressive and foul-mouth nature. One resistance members notes that he talks foul to them in front of the others and some await for a replacement leader after Caroline's death. The only resistance member Fergus truly shows kindness to is Maria, which is stated by one resistance member to Maria. By the end of The New Colossus, Fergus shows himself to have composure, apologizing to Max for being angry for him drawing a heart on his clothing.
For information on the related timeline weapon, see LaserKraftWerk#The New Colossus.
Skills and Abilities
- "Fergus. Gotta respect a guy who can lose an arm and soldier on like it's nothing."
- ―BJ on Fergus after losing his arm.[src]
Fergus showed himself to be an excellent commander, rallying troops during the first assault on Deathshead's Compound. His resilience to the responsibility of the leadership was also shown during the Second American Revolution where he was able to face the burdens without cowering. He was a excellent pilot, taking Blazkowicz to various locations across Germany and the American territories. Not to mention piloting a helicopter whilst intoxicated without crashing during B.J's birthday. Though not on par with BJ, Fergus is a skilled marksman and has a very high pain tolerance, being able to kill four Nazi soldiers after losing his arm, whereas a normal human being would pass out due to the blood loss and shock.
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
- He often calls B.J. "Blazko" in both 1946 and 1960 timelines. Only him and Pippa call him like that.
- In his timeline, the player can collect small red statuettes of soldiers for health upgrades. Each upgrade adds 10 extra health points to the player's maximum health.
- In Chapter 1 of The New Order when meeting him and the crew at the turret, Fergus sings "My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean", a traditional Scottish folk song.
- Upon obtaining his prosthetic limb, Fergus' new arm acts almost like Dr. Strangelove's arm from the film Doctor Strangelove.
- In the quest to retrieve the keys to the archives from Wyatt (in Wyatt's timeline) during the second visit to the Kreisau Circle HQ, Wyatt says that Reid was a Wing Commander in the Royal Air Force. However, the rank patch on his right sleeve is for a sergeant, not a Wing Commander, and his sleeves bear the patches of the Parachute Regiment, which is a part of the British Army, and not the RAF.
- Given the desperate state of the war by 1946, it's not inconceivable he may have been transferred to the RAF with the acting rank of Wing Commander, given his piloting abilities, for the attack on Deathshead's Compound.
- Also, in the New Colossus, Bombate adresses him as Wing Commander on one occasion. Later, during BJ's birthday, Fergus himself drunkenly states that he is a Wing Commander, possibly proving that Wyatt was indeed right.
- Alongside Blazkowicz, he has appeared in all three entries (only if chosen to be saved by him). We can also assume that he will appear on Wolfenstein Youngblood, making it it's fourth entry, although there is no evidence of this.
- When Grace insults Fergus when they first meet each other, Fergus' mechanical arm flips her off. He claims that he has no control over the limb. Considering how recently he had received the limb, his claim may or may not be true.
- As Fergus exact birthdate is not known it is not clear what age he is in Old Blood or The New Order. He is 53 in New Colossus, which takes place from June to August 1961. This would have made his birthdate around 1907 or 1908. While The New Order takes place in October to December, 1960. Depending on when his birthday is he could be 53 or 52 in the New Order, and 37 or 38 in The Old Blood.
- According to B.J., Fergus seems to put rock or hard objects in his punching bag since B.J. hurts his hand when trying to punch it.
- Who's Who Card
- Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
|Organization||101st Airborne Division · Da'at Yichud · MAPE · Neumond · Kreisau Circle · United States Army · SS Special Projects Division · Office of Secret Actions · Pflaumen · Parachute Regiment|
|Resistance||BJ Blazkowicz · Anya Oliwa · Caroline Becker · Fergus Reid · Prendergast · Private Wyatt · Tekla · J · Klaus Kreutz· Max Hass · Bobby Bram · Set Roth · Bombate ·|
|Nazis||Wilhelm Strasse · Irene Engel · Hans "Bubi" Winkle · Friedrich Keller · The Knife · Anton Krieger · Wolfgang|
|Others||Blondie · Gates · Benson|
|Organization||101st Airborne Division · United States Army · SS Paranormal Division · SS Special Projects Division · Office of Secret Actions|
|Resistance||BJ Blazkowicz · Annette Krause · Pippa Shepherd · Fergus Reid · Ludwig Kessler · Richard Wesley · Katrin · Markus · Village Drunkard|
|Nazis||Rudi Jäger · Helga Von Schabbs · Emmerich Schreiner ·|
|Other||Otto I · Eadgyth · Konrad · Siegbald Berger|
|Organization||American Resistance · Black Revolutionary Front · Laserflop · Klasse Spielzeug · Kreisau Circle · Ku Klux Klan · Neumond · Scorpions · AXTO|
|Resistance||B.J. Blazkowicz · Anya Oliwa · Caroline Becker · Fergus Reid · Private Wyatt · Max Hass · Set Roth · Bombate · Super Spesh · Sigrun Engel · Grace Walker · Horton Boone · Mary Sue 'Professor' Ellington · Paris Jack|
|Nazis||Adolf Hitler · Anselm Decker · Irene Engel · Gruber · Helene Winter · Peter Trumbauer|
|Other||Jimmy Carver · Juna · Rip Blazkowicz · Sabine Vogel · Zofia Blazkowicz · Shoshana|