SS-Sturmbannführer Gretel Grösse (Big Gretel) is the boss of Episode 5 of Wolfenstein 3D, guarding the plans for the poison war (Giftkrieg) designed by General Fettgesicht. She is a Nazi enforcer, enhanced by red heavy-armor.
She is the youngest member of the Grösse family, having a brother, Hans Grösse and another relative, Trans Grösse. Her Chain Guns are the most distinct, as the rolling is not exposed. They aren't as deadly as Otto Giftmacher and General Fettgesicht's weaponry, but she can do major damage if the player isn't careful.
Gretel Grösse fires 6 bullets per volley. After being defeated, she will drop a gold key. Except for the sprites, she is identical to Hans Grösse.
Tactical analysis[edit | edit source]
If you don't have a Chain Gun by now, try and find one before you engage her! It'll make fighting her much easier.
When you fight her, make sure that there's a medium amount of distance between you and her and that there's something you can hide behind nearby. While she's walking around, open fire with your Chain Gun. She'll freeze before attacking, giving you a chance to hide behind something before she fires her guns. If you're too close to her, you might not have enough time to hide before she fires.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
The poor quality of sound in the game makes it difficult to ascertain what is being said. Sources are given for what Id claims is the language, but this is sometimes open to criticism.
- "Kein Durchgang!"
- "No Trespassing!" File: "KEINSND". Spoken on seeing the player. Though it's corrected as "No Passage!"
- "Mein Buße!"
- "My repentance!" File: "MEINSND". Spoken on death. Some German-speaking players have noted inconsistencies in the German grammar, and suggested that the phrase may actually be "Mein Busen!" meaning "My bosom!".
"Id Software apologizes to German speaking people everywhere."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- She and Helga von Bulow resemble each another, and both betray a canard of Nazi German women as menacing, overweight giantesses wielding weapons.
- Her brother's name and her name, put together, is a play on the title of a children's story, Hänsel and Gretel.
- Gretel Grösse is basically Hans' sprite retouched to look like a woman and given single barrel guns.
- Hans and Gretel Grosse are the only bosses of the game not to be given a DeathCam upon their demise.
- She was voiced by Tom Hall, originally as a place-holder, but the designers forgot to amend this before they shipped the game.
- She is the only female character from Wolfenstein 3d.
Data[edit | edit source]