- "Lot of things you can do with a hatchet. And a Nazi."
- ―B.J. Blazkowicz upon collecting his first hatchet.[src]
The Hatchet is a new melee weapon in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. It replaces the Knife from The Old Blood and The New Order, having similar capabilities of using it to takedown soldiers stealthily or throwing them from afar. The hatchet is Captain Gerald Wilkins' melee weapon in The New Colossus third DLC: The Amazing Deeds of Captain Wilkins.
The weapon makes a return in Youngblood as Zofia Blazkowicz's melee weapon of choice.
- "Hatch is locked, won't budge. Need a tool, something I could use to pry it open."
- ―B.J.'s mission text on the Ausmerzer.[src]
The hatchet combines the functionality of the knife and the pipe. It's an efficient and quick melee weapon that can be thrown to stealthily take down targets from a short distance. It can also be used to pry open certain hatches. In addition, the hatchet can dismember a soldier upon doing a takedown (combat or stealth). In addition, the hatchets are extremely sharp and strong, able to dismember a robots arm without breaking on impact. The hatchets are extremely durable, able to destroy the Ausmerzer's claws with three swipes.
- The hatchet can be useful when you want to be stealthy as it can be thrown and be used for takedowns. If a soldier is all up in your face, this weapon will get the job done but make sure no one else is around or else they will most likely kill you.
- The only con about the melee weapon is that the death animation varies from quick to lengthy (e.g. B.J. pulling a soldier to the ground from the legs up, and axing them twice).
- It's best to throw hatchets unless the area is secure for you to do a takedown. That being said, not all hatchet throws will kill armored enemies, often merely knocking them forward or to the side. You can aim for the head to circumvent this.
- Getting more hatchets are useful when playing on harder difficulties, getting four to five hatchet earlier on due to not having a lot of ammo. In addition, getting more also allows the player to kill a soldier if the latter doesn't drop from one.
- You can carry a maximum of 8 hatchets, who replace B.J.'s knife and pipe from previous installments.
- The hatchet is the only melee weapon so far in the series that has both lethal and non-lethal stealth executions (rarely happens). Non-lethal executions involve B.J, uses the hatchet to tap the enemy's shoulder to get their attention and straight-punch them square in the face, knocking them out or simply using the blunt side the hatchet to bash their heads to knock them out.
- In a letter found on the Ausmerzer, it's noted that they are carelessly placed. This can be seen as a soldier has one on a dart board or often on the ground in areas.
- B.J.'s favourite method of execution with the hatchet seems to be cutting the oponent's arm and them aiming to a vital organ. We see him do it twice during cutscenes and more times against regular enemies.
- No enemy soldiers seem to use the an hatchet except for B.J. and Gerald.
- In terms of appearance, it appears to be a recolored fireman's axe.
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
|Melee/Throwing||Hatchet · Knife (Freedom Chronicles only) · Canned goods (Freedom Chronicles only)|
|Sidearms||Handgun 1960 · Maschinenpistole|
|Assault weapons||Sturmgewehr · Schockhammer X · LaserKraftWerk (timeline determinate)|
|Explosives||Dieselkraftwerk (timeline determinate) · Kampfpistole · Handgranate|
|Heavy weapons||Lasergewehr · Dieselgewehr · Hammergewehr · Ubergewehr|
|Other||Da'at Yichud Power Suit · Microwave Emitters · Contraptions|
|Melee/Throwing||Hatchet · Balisong|
|Sidearms||Pistole · Maschinenpistole|
|Assault weapons||Sturmgewehr · Blitzgewehr · Kubelgewehr · LaserKraftWerk · Elektrokraftwerk|
|Explosives||Dieselkraftwerk · Handgranate|
|Heavy weapons||Laserhammer · Dieselhammer · Hammergewehr · Uberhammer|
|Other||Ram Shackles · Da'at Yichud Power Suit|