SS High Priestess Oberführer Marianna Blavatsky is one of the main antagonists of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and was the woman in charge of Operation Resurrection. She tutored Standartenführer Helga von Bulow in the ways of the occult. Little is mentioned of her until the OSA learns of the ceremony.
Madame Blavatsky has studied the black arts for some time. She has established herself as the premier practitioner of the occult in the Nazi realm. As such, she has Heinrich Himmler’s ear, and vast power within the SS Paranormal Division. Blavatsky has mentored many, and Helga von Bulow is one of her most passionate followers. With patience and study, the Oberführer has compiled information that could point the Nazis to a power greater than any known to the modern world. According to a note found in-game, she reports directly to Himmler, whom she also considers a friend, in addition to her superior officer.
As indicated in the notes written by her, which can be found in-game, she was quite prideful, as shown by her letter to Himmler, as well as overconfident and driven. She is clearly fanatical and devoted to the Nazis' goals. Her notes indicate that she has mixed opinions about some of the high-ranking officers in Nazi Germany, as indicated when the note indicates that General Von Stauff is one officer she holds in high regard, whereas she loathes General Burkhalter due to his arrogance, even stating her disappointment upon learning that he was one of the "chosen few", yet she accepts the reality of the circumstances, also indicating that she places her goals first and foremost. Given her appearance, she also seems to have an odd fixation for tattoos.
She is first seen in the game conducting a ceremony near a chateau involving three Super Soldiers. At the finale, she conducts another ceremony and transforms three Übersoldaten into Dark Knights, using them to revive Heinrich I. Blavatsky prostrated herself before Heinrich, pledging to serve him. Heinrich "rewarded" this by turning her into an Undead slave. Blavatsky and the Death Knights end up being destroyed by B.J. Blazkowicz as he arrives to face Heinrich I.
During the fight with Heinrich I, she is clearly recognizable among other Undead by height and skin color, but doesn't have any advantages over a regular zombie, so she is not a sub-boss. Despite this, she has more resistance than regular Undead. The quickest way is use Flamethrower on her; after she falls, a kick will finish the job. She serves as a sort of vanguard during the final boss, and therefore needs to be eliminated quickly if B.J. wants to focus on Heinrich I, who poses a much larger threat.
- A "Doctor Blavatsky" is referenced in Wolfenstein in the level Dig Site's fifth Intel document, though since Marianna is dead at this point in the series it is likely this is supposed to be a relative of hers. On the other hand many of the digsite records appear to be dated back to 1940 (5-6 years before the game, and 3 years before the events of Return to Castle Wolfenstein), which may place Blavatsky's archaeological involvement at the dig site two years before death (so it could possible be the same individual).
- Marianna in Wolfenstein RPG is based on her, and may even be the same individual but earlier in the timeline, see Id universe timeline.
- Marianna is the only instance of a living human undergoing a transformation into an Undead.
- The blinding and screaming ghosts that Olaric sends towards the player bear striking resemblance to her zombified form.
- Blavatsky is the only antagonist that B.J. does not directly interact with in any version of Return to Castle Wolfenstein. This does not include her zombified form.
- Her zombified form has 200 health points, ironically, more than the Dark Knights that protect her. They have 105.
Behind the scenes
- She is named after the real-life occultist Helena Blavatsky and is probably supposed to be a descendant.
|Humans||Black Guard · Elite Guard · Flamethrower · Officer · Soldier · Venom Gunner · Worker|
|Undead||Fire Undead · Undead · Undead Warrior · Dark Knight|
|X-Creature||Loper · Proto-Soldier|
|Bosses||Olaric · Super Soldier · Heinrich I|
|Nazis||Wilhelm Strasse · Marianna Blavatsky · Helga von Bulow · Heinrich Himmler · Zemph · Zee · Lofen · Wolfgang Statz · Shurber · Major Jurgen · Werner Schmidt (Cursed Sands)|
|Console exclusive||Egyptian Mercenary · Occult Priest · X-Shepherd|