- "Max Hass!"
- ―Max Hass.
Max Hass is a pacifistic member of the Kreisau Circle in Wolfenstein: The New Order. He makes a return in the sequel, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus as a member of the American Resistance, and briefly mentioned in Wolfenstein: Youngblood.
Max Hass was born with a severe brain injury, which forced doctors to surgically remove half his brain. Shunned by his parents, and given that Nazi health policies advocated the euthanizing of anyone with physical deformities and disabilities, Max was raised in secret by his grandmother until she died.
He was found by Klaus Kreutz behind a dumpster, who took him in and raised him as if he was his own son.
Max Hass is a very large individual, shown by the fact that he towers over even Blazkowicz himself, and is nearly twice as muscular. One side of Max's head is collapsed, and his hair is shaven down to a buzzcut.
He is dressed in a striped woollen T-shirt and worn leather overalls. Max doesn't wear shoes or any manner of footwear. However, in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, he is seen wearing red bowling shoes.
- Immense durability: Max Hass is shown to be able to endure multiple gunshots from an assault rifle at point blank.
- Superhuman strength: Max Hass is able to dent a helmet worn by a Nazi soldier and knock them out with a hammer fist.
Max has the personality of a young boy: he is a pacifist, is prone to tantrums, and often draws on whatever surface he can find, be it the walls of a building or a shirt. Due to his brain damage, Max's vocabulary is limited to "Max Hass" and "Max", and he often requires supervision from the other members of the resistance. His room in the resistance hideout has a large number of toys and childish-looking objects.
However, in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, he appears to be capable of aiming a gun, and can understand what others say. He is also ironically shown beating Set in a game of chess, showcasing a mysterious level of intelligence. This suggests that at least certain aspects of his brain seem to be highly functioning, showing that the brain damage didn't entirely cripple his ability to think, and even kept some parts of it largely intact. Max also shows an artistic side, from creating simple childish drawings to an entire complex Modernist collage, all in crayon only.
Despite his peaceful nature, Max displays an impressive level of strength and durability, performing impressive feats such as surviving a gunshot to the shoulder, knocking a Nazi out with one punch, ripping off a car door with his bare hands, and later brushing off a full force punch from the supersoldier body of B.J. Blazkowicz, whom he knocks out soon after.
The New Order
Max was introduced when he greeted the Eisenwald Prison escapee (either Fergus or Wyatt), Blazkowicz, and Anya Oliwa. Most of the time, Max is always lying around at the base and playing with his toys. When the Nazis raided the Circle's hideout, Max remained hidden and saved B.J. and Klaus from Nazi Commandos by killing the Nazis with his bare hands, but was too late to save Klaus. After escaping, Max became very distraught of Klaus's passing and later helped in participating in the attack on Deathshead's Compound.
No mentioning of Max's whereabouts is made after Blazkowicz stormed Deathshead's fortress, but he is presumed to have remained on the Nazi U-Boat along with Caroline and Fergus/Wyatt.
The New Colossus
- "Happy Birthday, Max!"
- ―Klaus Kreutz, Max's Birthday Card[src]
Max returns, continuing to aid the Kreisau Circle in fighting the Nazis, honoring the request of his guardian Klaus who died a few months prior.
Despite his language deficiency and his child-like spirit, Max is quite talented: he beat Set Roth at a game of chess, has the highest score in Wolfstone 3D of anyone who has played the cabinet, and deciphered a book by the Da'at Yichud that both Set and Fergus/Wyatt were unable to. He's also shown to be able to do trickshots in billiard and is also skilled in creating crayon art with the Modernist aesthetic. Max also draws all around Eva's Hammer, such as in his room, a mural on a nearby wall, and on Fergus' shirt, much to the ire of Fergus himself.
Max has a unique relationship with Fergus or Wyatt in their timelines, as the former often gets angry with him or calls him an idiot (but later apologizes to him), and the latter is friendly. Max is very fond of Rosa, refusing to allow her to be killed by Bombate for food, and becomes friends with Mary Sue 'Professor' Ellington, as she often is seen at his side in the Eva's Hammer.
Through interactions on the ship, other characters note that Max is depressed. For example, B.J. can take on an optional side-quest from a resident that tells him that Max is sad, and that finding some toys for him might cheer him up. In a random encounter on the ship Bombate is attempting to cheer Max up, and when this doesn't work, Bombate quickly loses his cool and lashes out at Max.
Max was mentioned in Youngblood, as the aged William J. Blazkowicz tells his daughters that Max was the first person to notice the effects of the weather from Hitler's doomsday device. His fate is unknown.
- Interestingly, his last name means "hate" in German.
- Max Hass could be a reference to the Iron Giant, the huge robot from the animated film by director Brad Bird. Like Max Hass, the iron giant also has a big dent on the left side of the skull, and both of them exhibit childlike behavior. (In a few situations, both also express a certain intelligence.) Max as well as the giant can not stand the sight of weapons and violence. In addition, neither Max Hass nor the robot have any memory of their origin.
- His catchphrase "Max Haas" is a possible reference to the character Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy. Groot was a child like creature who could only say his name.
- Max Hass is very kind and attached to his allies, including Blazkowicz and Bombate.
- Set Roth refers to Max as a "golem" in The New Colossus. A golem is traditionally a large, strong, and servile entity from Jewish folklore, whose primary purpose is to follow simple orders, and is assumed to be somewhat unintelligent.
- Max Hass's age is 28 in The New Colossus. However his exact birthdate is not known, so it's not known if he was 27 or 28 in The New Order. The only clue to his birthday is a card given to him by Klaus Kreutz - However ,this was apparently given to him before events of The New Order, as there is no indication of his birthday having taken place during the course of the game.
- For a time it was incorrectly speculated among Wolfenstein fans that Max Hass was a failed supersoldier candidate or test subject, but the answer is false. Max is not a supersoldier
- Who's Who Card
|Organization||101st Airborne Division · Da'at Yichud · MAPE · Neumond · Kreisau Circle · United States Army · SS Special Projects Division · Office of Secret Actions · Pflaumen · Parachute Regiment|
|Resistance||BJ Blazkowicz · Anya Oliwa · Caroline Becker · Fergus Reid · Prendergast · Private Wyatt · Tekla · J · Klaus Kreutz· Max Hass · Bobby Bram · Set Roth · Bombate ·|
|Nazis||Wilhelm Strasse · Irene Engel · Hans "Bubi" Winkle · Friedrich Keller · The Knife · Anton Krieger · Wolfgang|
|Others||Blondie · Gates · Benson|
|Organization||American Resistance · Black Revolutionary Front · Laserflop · Klasse Spielzeug · Kreisau Circle · Ku Klux Klan · Neumond · Scorpions · AXTO|
|Resistance||B.J. Blazkowicz · Anya Oliwa · Caroline Becker · Fergus Reid · Private Wyatt · Max Hass · Bobby Bram · Set Roth · Bombate · Super Spesh · Sigrun Engel · Grace Walker · Horton Boone · Mary Sue 'Professor' Ellington · Paris Jack|
|Nazis||Adolf Hitler · Anselm Decker · Irene Engel · Gruber · Helene Winter · Peter Trumbauer|
|Other||Jimmy Carver · Juna · Rip Blazkowicz · Sabine Vogel · Zofia Blazkowicz · Shoshana|
|Organization||French Resistance · Fourth Reich · United States Army · Maquis · FBI · SS Special Projects Division|
|Global Resistance||Jessica and Sophia Blazkowicz · B.J. Blazkowicz · Anya Oliwa · Grace Walker · Abby Walker|
|Nazis||Messer · Lothar Brandt · Julie Brandt · Winkler · Unnamed Reichskanzler|
|Other||Billy Blaze · Max Hass · Set Roth|