Supersoldaten (Übersoldaten), or Super Soldiers (And Maschienensoldaten in the German version) as they are commonly known, are heavily-armored biomechanical enemies encountered in Wolfenstein: The New Order, prequel expansion Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and Wolfenstein: Youngblood.
Main Article: Supersoldaten 46
The Supersoldaten 46 is a newer breed of 7 to 8 ft tall super soldiers engineered by General Deathshead himself.
The results of Deathshead's inhuman experiments are tied to his desire to combine man and machine. The Supersoldaten 46 is an early attempt by Deathshead to create a supersoldier using dead soldiers and modern robotic technology.
They are created from human subjects. After going through a chemical therapy, their bodies are surgically enhanced with steel and cybernetics and encased in bullet-proof armor. To purify the human subject's killer instinct, the brain is degenerated into a more primitive state, making them erratic and extremely violent. Regardless, these troops are shown to take orders without question from Deathshead and other Nazi officials and fight together with other soldiers.
It is fought twice in the entire New Order campaign, first as a boss in a containment chamber in Deathshead's Compound, where it lacks a weapon and can't instantly kill you with a punch. It is seen again in Chapter 9 where B.J. has to find his way back to the resistance HQ after retrieving a welder, where it uses the Machine Gun 1946 And there is a second one. The 1946 variant is potent at close range and it has much higher mobility than its predecessor. Staying out of their attack range is the most important thing to remember should B.J. run into one of these.
The Supersoldaten 60 is a refined version of the original model. A new and improved metal golem who wields an MG60 and wears a face mask resembling a Greek statue, this is an enemy not to be taken lightly.
Like most things that exist in both time periods, the 1960 version of the Supersoldaten is essentially a technologically advanced version of the earlier 1946 type, with the majority of the updates being related to their equipment. Despite their upgraded equipment, their behavior and basic transformations during creation seem to have changed little over the 14 years between the two versions.
Notably, the 1960 Supersoldaten is also created on the Moon - they can be seen suspended unarmored and unconscious in tubes of yellow liquid throughout the lunar base. The creation of the 1946 variant is never seen so it is unknown whether this process differs from the one used to create its predecessors, although judging from the heavy facial scarring of the 1946 model, the process is more reliant on surgery rather than growth cultivation, as appears to be the case with the 1960 variant. Despite this the face is as heavily scarred as its predecessor.
Their armor is generally more refined than that of their predecessors; instead of the mixture of flat, crudely machined plates of varying sizes assembled in an almost piecemeal fashion, the 1960 Supersoldaten armor is somewhat more rounded and curved, the components sized and shaped to provide a much greater level of coverage and visibly matching the underlying body parts while also sloped to effectively deflect projectiles, much like tanks and other armored fighting vehicles in both function and appearance. Additionally, the face protection plate of the 1946 version is replaced with a steel mask in the shape of a boldly styled art-deco human face while the head protection is changed to aesthetically resemble a steel version of the helmets worn by other Nazi troops.
As they wield the laser firing, electrically operated MG-60s, the 1960 Supersoldaten can be a challenging enemy due to the combination of their very high damage potential, durability and excellent resilience regarding interrupts and stuns compared to other enemies. They have a high rate of fire so evading shots is difficult and there aren't many ways to deal damage to them without also being directly in their line of fire. The main issue is surviving their very high damage for long enough to kill them because their resistance to interrupts and stuns makes it very difficult to unload into them without taking fatal damage, as they simply won't stop firing even while taking extremely heavy hits.
The Super Soldiers deployed in occupied North America Have been stripped of most of the human parts making about 70% being Robot they also feature significant modifications to the design, including a new face mask, the addition of a frontal armor plate to protect the throat and an enlarged backpack.
Unlike their slow, lumbering predecessors they are all equipped with a rocket engine mounted on their backs that allows them to rapidly close the distance to an enemy. They also pack greater firepower and tactical versatility, carrying a pair of weapons rather than just one and using a more varied arsenal of Lasergewehren, Dieselgewehren, or Hammergewehren rather than the same weapon being issued to all of them.
Before his death, Deathshead sacrificed his latest generation of Super Soldier's armour to accommodate the increased weapon payload and the rocket pack, since they are less durable in contrast to their predecessors and the fuel tanks on their backs are prone to exploding after being damaged.
Some time in the past, another generation of Super Soldiers was also being developed by Deathshead and Nazi scientists. They were to use Bio-engineered Super Soldier Bodies to remove the feral and mentally impaired drawbacks of the conventional Super Soldier. However, the demise of Deathshead and the heist of the prototype body by Caroline Becker stopped any chance of these Bio-engineered Super Soldiers seeing the light of day.
The Super Soldier is deployed in large numbers at occupied France, due to it country is closer to Germany and it had become a major burden to the resistance ever since after World War II ended, where it always get crushed by the cybernetic creatures during the rebellion uprising.
The New Order and The Old BloodEdit
- Using energy weapons like the Machine Gun 1960/Machine Gun 1946 and LaserKraftWerk is extremely useful against super soldiers as bullets will only bounce off and inflict a small amount of damage on armoured parts. Dual wielding the Marksman Rifle (with lazer upgrade) is some what effective but its energy needs to be recharged quickly after 5-10 seconds. A fully-charged LKW can get the job done if all the lasers connect, or a single focused shot if the player has the scope upgrade (at the cost of an entire battery). On higher difficulties the player need multiple bursts to kill one, so keep an eye out for charging stations.
- A well-placed Tesla Grenade will briefly stun a Super Soldier, allowing the player a short amount of time to either run to cover or try to deal heavy damage.
- Bullets weapons can bring them down, though it will take a lot of ammunition about 10000 rounds. Dual-wielded Assault Rifles will put in a large number of hits very rapidly. The rifle's under-slung rocket launchers will also blast their armor plating off, allowing you to follow up with either more rockets or gunfire to the exposed section.
- However, as being a common enemy in The New Colossus, they're much vulnerable to projectile weapons such as Dual-Wield AR and Dual-Wield Shotgun.
- They are highly resistant to being interrupted/stunned even when getting hit by heavy firepower, and their machine guns are very difficult to dodge, meaning it is difficult to avoid damage from them. However, they have a short pause before acquiring a target and firing. Thus, the best way to avoid damage while killing them is to rapidly move in and out of cover. For best results, slip into cover and wait until you hear them stop firing, then emerge from cover at a different position each time, so they have to turn toward you and adjust their aim again before opening fire, therefore allowing you to attack unopposed.
- Do not get close to them. Even though Super Soldiers tend to hang back and fire at the player with their machineguns, they do have a particularly lethal grab attack followed by a straight punch that instantly kills.
The New ColossusEdit
- Taking a Lasergewehr from a dead Supersoldat, and using it against another Supersoldaten, is extremely effective since the Lasergewehr can melt one within seconds.
- Use the Ram Shackle to stun them when they get close to you, if necessary.
- Using the Ram Shackle as they rocket charge towards you kills them instantly but only works in lower difficulties.
- Aim for their arms. Enough shots will take one of their arms off and disable the weapon that arm was holding. Shooting off both arms will kill them. This strategy also applies to Zitadelles and Zerstörers.
- With an upgraded Sturmgewehr, Super Soldiers become very susceptible to headshots. 2-3 shots will down them. Even without headshots Super Soldiers are still surprisingly vulnerable.
- If one's low on armor after a firefight, look for a dead Supersoldier lying face-down. If their jet pack is still intact, shoot it to blow it up. Pieces of armor will come off the now-burning corpse and can be salvaged.
- They can be sneak kill by chopping their fuel tank cable in which it will cause the leak behind the back. Shooting or meleeing the leaking tank will cause the Supersoldier to explode instantly. That being said, most of the time they won't be killed, but have no armor and show their skin. They can be killed in a few shots afterward, using the silenced handgun is advised if staying stealthy is the goal.
- Occasionally, hitting a Supersoldat with heavy weapons, such as a rocket or a fully powered shot from the LaserKraftWerk will cause the face mask to fall off, revealing a heavily scarred, nose-less and almost skeletal face underneath.
- Max Hass is heavily implied to be a failed Supersoldat candidate due to his monstrous durability and strength as he can endure dozens of shots from a high-caliber rifle without flinching.
- They wear an SS doppelte Siegrune device on their armour collars, identifying all of them as being part of the Waffen-SS.
- The 1946 version is compared from the 1943 version of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, The 1946 version is a technical setback, as the Super Soldier from 1943 could use two to three weapons as once and doesn't need a power source. Overall, the Super Soldiers in the Old Blood and the New Order are more like the Proto-Soldier.
- In Wolfenstein II, Set Roth's notes speak about the yellow substance used for the Supersoldat enhances their growth but severely impairs their mental capacity. He writes about in his youth he experimented with a similar chemical on beetles which also resulted in an increase of size. It also seems to make them immune it highly resistant to radioactivity, as they can be seen patrolling in New York without any problems.
- The process of creating Super Soldiers is quite similar to how Big Daddies are created in the BioShock video game series which also involves using a yellow substance to increase the subject's strength while reducing their mental capacity, as well as encasing the subject permanently in a suit of armor.
- In the German Version they are called Maschiensoldaten (Machine soldier) instead of Übersoldat or Supersoldat, which is strange, as their counterparts from RTCW kept their name in ther German version.
Old Blood and New OrderEdit
The New ColossusEdit
|Humans||Soldier · Riot Guard · Commander · Deathshead's Commando · Fire Trooper · Rocket Trooper · Space Marine · Space Trooper|
|Machines||Drone · Guard Robot · Panzerhund · Heavy Robot · Baltisches Auge · Herr Faust · Zeppelin|
|Creatures||Kampfhund · Supersoldaten|
|Bosses||London Monitor · Prototype Robot · Deathshead(Mechanical Powered Armor)|
|Humans||Soldier · Commander · Heavy Soldier · Marksman|
|Machines||Drone · Panzerhund · Laderoboter|
|Creatures||Kampfhund · Supersoldaten · Shambler|
|Humans||Soldier (Atom Elites · Venus Soldiers) · Commander · Übercommander|
|Machines||Railway Turret · UberSoldat · Drone · Laserhund · Panzerhund|
|Creatures||Kampfhund · Supersoldaten · Crocodile|
|Bosses||Irene Engel · Zerstörer· Zitadelle|
|Humans||Soldier · Commander · Elite Guard · Sniper|
|Machines||Drone · Laserhund · Panzerhund|
|Creatures||Kampfhund · Supersoldaten · Zerstörer · Zitadelle|